Iowa School of Rock
The house lights go down as the stage lights come up. The opening chords thunder from your guitar, and just then it hits you, the song was right – you do “got the music in you!” We’re not talking air guitar here.
Regardless of your current level of playing experience, you can experience playing in a band and in a real rock concert with people your age. You baby boomers can do this too, even if you’ve never taken your drums out of the basement or your guitar out of the living room. This is learning by doing. And when it comes to music, nothing can compare.
Students age 9 and up are placed in age- appropriate bands and participate in a series of professionally-coached practices that prepare them to perform in a series of real rock concerts. Students participate in 9 days of practices over two weeks.
Bands will also participate in a class that guides them through the process of establishing their band’s identity, selecting suitable music for their band, naming their band, designing a band logo, and promoting their band and final concert. The final concerts are full-blown rock productions!
- Great first band experience! Boost your childs confidence, make friends, and have fun! Students are placed in age- appropriate bands and participate in a series of professionally-coached practices that prepare them to perform.
- Bands participate in a class that guides them through the process of establishing their band’s identity, selecting suitable music for their band, naming their band, designing a band logo, and promoting their band and final concert.
- Qualified, professional music teachers directing the bands.
- Taking music lessons to the next level. Play or learn to play favorite songs. Regardless of current level of playing experience, students experience playing in a band and in a real rock concert.
- The final concerts are full-blown rock productions. Students experience everything from event production to promotion – see how it all comes together for a fantastic show.
Sessions run from June 30 through July 12 2014
Followed by two concert dates:
Friday July 11th and Saturday July 12th 2014
- Complete registration form with student music experience, music genre preferences and contact information.Click Here to complete registration form online.
- Print the Rockers Rules (student to sign) and Liability Waiver (parent to sign), and mail/ drop off at our Ames or Ankeny studios along with payment.
Registration is secured only upon receipt of tuition payment of $375. $175 becomes non-refundable deposit.
Click here to download forms to include with payment
- Follow us on Facebook!
Please call 515-232-6546 or email
email@example.com if you have questions not answered below and want to explore opportunities for a student in the Iowa School of Rock.
- Who can participate?
Anyone 9 years old or older may participate.
- How much experience do I need to have?
We will work you into a band whatever your level of experience, and we will create a roll for you within a band that is appropriate for your experience level.
- What if I don’t play a ‘traditional’ rock instrument?
No problem. If you look around our town or around the world, you will find cellists, saxophonists, trumpeters, violinists, etc. in combos of all sorts, including rock bands.
- What equipment will I need?
In order to adequately practice on your own time you will need to have your basic instrument, guitar, bass, saxophone, cello, access to a piano or keyboard or drums if that is what you will be playing. We will provide guitar and bass amps, pro keyboard rig, drums, microphones, monitors, etc.
- How will we be divided up into bands?
Bands will be formed primarily by age and then by musical preferences and then experience. Less experienced players will get the benefit of working with more experienced, advanced players will get to experience playing a key out-front role and leadership within the group.
- How will music be chosen?
Taking into account the musical tastes and abilities, the coaches will determine the final song list from which each band will vote for songs.
- What about original music? Can my band play the song I wrote?
We definitely encourage original material and will prioritize grouping people who express an interest in playing original music of their own or others within the group.
Parent and Student Reviews:
I couldn’t be happier with our experience with the lessons at Ankeny School of Music, my son Brandon has had the opportunity to work with three different teachers over the course of three years. He has learned different things from each teacher but what they share is their enthusiasm and dedication to helping Brandon develop a passion for music that I think will be a lifelong pursuit. Here are his own thoughts on his experience: When I look back at my lessons learning the bass guitar and now the guitar, I think that it was a very enlightening experience for me. Despite not knowing much about music, I was able to pick up the bass pretty quickly with the help of the great instructors at Ankeny School of Music. I found it helpful to learn from people who were like-minded. Another great experience I got from it was the Iowa School of Rock, which I’ve done for three years now. Getting to play with people that were my age and who relatively liked the same music as me was great, and after playing for three years in the School of Rock band I’m thinking about starting my own band with some of my friends.
…If it wasn’t for the encouragement and patience of my music mentor, Al Biela, I wouldn’t have the enthusiasm toward music that I have today. In second grade, Al prompted me to compose my own music… After that, Al inspired me to begin writing lyrics. Because of Al’s never ending passion for music and lyrics, I now am interested in journalism and poetry… Music has provided a way to express myself along with self confidence to perform on stage… I am simply amazed that Mr. Biela can bring together musicians to create eight different bands… moving musicians out of their comfort zone to reach their highest potentials and goals… I feel that Al has helped me through my roughest frustrations as well as helping me achieve my greatest goals and standards… Mr. Biela has been an inspiration for me to succeed.
I must write to congratulate and thank you for having the determination to do a very good thing. WOW! I was proud to have a son who was given an opportunity to work cooperatively in a group, to be inspired by adults and older youth who are passionate, disciplined and committed to performing. I am still beaming!…You tune kids in and tune into their energy…Bravo!