The Iowa School of Rock has openings for Rockers for an ongoing weekly band project! Do you want to be in a band? Develop a whole set of performance ready material, and a polished show presentation? Take your music performance to the next level? We …Read More
Iowa School of Rock
The house lights go down as the stage lights come up. The opening chords thunder from your guitar, and just then it hits you, the song was right - you do "got the music in you!" We're not talking air guitar here.
Regardless of your current level of playing experience, you can experience playing in a band and in a real rock concert with people your age. You baby boomers can do this too, even if you've never taken your drums out of the basement or your guitar out of the living room. This is learning by doing. And when it comes to music, nothing can compare.
Students age 9 and up are placed in age- appropriate bands and participate in a series of professionally-coached practices that prepare them to perform in a series of real rock concerts. Students participate in 9 days of practices over two weeks.
Bands will also participate in a class that guides them through the process of establishing their band's identity, selecting suitable music for their band, naming their band, designing a band logo, and promoting their band and final concert. The final concerts are full-blown rock productions!
- Great first band experience! Boost your childs confidence, make friends, and have fun! Students are placed in age- appropriate bands and participate in a series of professionally-coached practices that prepare them to perform.
- Bands participate in a class that guides them through the process of establishing their band's identity, selecting suitable music for their band, naming their band, designing a band logo, and promoting their band and final concert.
- Qualified, professional music teachers directing the bands.
- Taking music lessons to the next level. Play or learn to play favorite songs. Regardless of current level of playing experience, students experience playing in a band and in a real rock concert.
- The final concerts are full-blown rock productions. Students experience everything from event production to promotion - see how it all comes together for a fantastic show.
- Who can participate? Anyone 9 years old or older may participate.
- How much experience do I need to have? We will work you into a band whatever your level of experience, and we will create a roll for you within a band that is appropriate for your experience level.
- What if I don’t play a 'traditional' rock instrument? No problem. If you look around our town or around the world, you will find cellists, saxophonists, trumpeters, violinists, etc. in combos of all sorts, including rock bands.
- What equipment will I need? In order to adequately practice on your own time you will need to have your basic instrument, guitar, bass, saxophone, cello, access to a piano or keyboard or drums if that is what you will be playing. We will provide guitar and bass amps, pro keyboard rig, drums, microphones, monitors, etc.
- How will we be divided up into bands? Bands will be formed primarily by age and then by musical preferences and then experience. Less experienced players will get the benefit of working with more experienced, advanced players will get to experience playing a key out-front role and leadership within the group.
- How will music be chosen? Taking into account the musical tastes and abilities, the coaches will determine the final song list from which each band will vote for songs.
- What about original music? Can my band play the song I wrote? We definitely encourage original material and will prioritize grouping people who express an interest in playing original music of their own or others within the group.